Thursday, February 23, 2012

Castile Soap and my Overly Dry Skin

I decided mid-January to try out castile soap as an alternative to the chemical filled stuff I’ve been using for years. Plus, a 3-pack of Kirk’s bar soap was just under $2 at Jewel. It couldn’t hurt, right?

It was really strange using soap in bar form at first, since I have been using body wash for as long as I can remember. It lathered up nicely and didn't have a smell. It did leave me with a strange squeaky-clean feeling, but I suspect that has more to do with the lack of a chemical surfactant.

Then, a few weeks later for my birthday, a friend gave me a bottle of Dr. Bronner’s Organic Shikakai Body Soap. It is supposed to be an unscented soap, but I think it smells like molasses or brown sugar or something that always makes me think of baking. It’s not the typical flowery smell, that’s for sure.

Dr. Bronner’s lathers up fairly well and I’m left feeling a little less squeaky after rinsing it away. I will definitely keep using a castile-based soap once these two options run out.

The only problem I’m having is my severely dry skin. Is it really that dry this winter? Is it compounded by the fact I have a space heater directed at my legs all day long?

I took a week-long break from using castile soap and my homemade lotion and switched back to the chemical junk my body is used to. I saw no improvements or difference, so went back to using the new stuff. I guess I'll see how my skin behaves once spring is here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the squeaky clean feeling after using the Castile type soap. Though I do of course need heavy moisturization for my dry skin. Have also heard that an apple cider vinegar bases toner helps against blemishes. hmmm.

Anonymous said...

I like Dr. Bronner's. It leaves me squeaky clean and refreshed by the aroma of peppermint, eucalyptus or Lavender. But, I do moisturize after every shower. I think you shouldn't look to soap to moisturize. Look for it to clean. Use a separate body moisturizer within 5 minutes of patting your skin dry with a towel.